Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
You can adapt this basic recipe to use ingredients in your fridge and pantry. Try single flavours or combinations to make anything from vegetable broth to hearty lentil, chicken or thick creamy soup. As this soup is quick-cooking, use tender cuts of meat. Steaks and chops, with bones removed, are suitable to slice and add to soup. Chopped cooked beef, pork or chicken can be used, too.
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil or 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped (or leek, shallots, green onions)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 300 g boneless meat chicken
- 3 cups finely chopped firm vegetables (potato, sweet potato, carrot, celery, turnip, parsnip, zucchini squash, sweet corn)
- 6 cups stock (beef, chicken, vegetable or fish; liquid or cubes)
- 1 cup penne pasta
- 1 cup chopped green vegetables (eg broccoli, spinach, green beans, peas, canned vegetables)
- salt and pepper
- herbs (eg, fresh or dried basil flat-leaf parsley, oregano)
- 1 cup red sweet pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (or fresh to taste)
- Worcestershire sauce
- soy sauce
- chili sauce
- tomato paste, juice,puree
- creamed corn
- Heat oil or butter in large pan, then add onion and garlic.
- Add the chicken or boneless meat, thinly sliced or finely chopped, and cook, stirring, until browned.
- Add firm vegetables as they take the longest to cook.
- Cook, stirring, until vegetables are just soft.
- Add enough stock to cover the vegetable mixture in pan.
- Bring the stock to the boil.
- For a tomato-based soup, add a can of undrained crushed tomatoes.
- For a hearty soup, at this stage add pasta, if desired.
- Simmer, uncovered, until grains and vegetables are just tender.
- Pasta takes about 10 minutes to cook.
- When grains and vegetables are almost tender, add quick-cooking green vegetables, such as chopped broccoli, spinach, beans, peas, onions, or canned vegetables.
- If you prefer a thicker, smooth soup, blend or process mixture to the desired consistency.
- For a thicker soup with chunks of vegetables, blend only half of the soup until smooth.
- Return the soup to pan, adjust the consistency with a little water or extra stock, if necessary, and stir until hot.
- If using canned beans or lentils, drain, rinse, then add them.
- Stir until hot.
- Season soup with salt, pepper and chopped fresh herbs (or a teaspoon of dried) to taste.
- If soup needs a little more flavour, ingredients such as Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, chilli sauce, tomato paste, tomato puree or a can of creamed corn are great boosters.
- Suitable to freeze.
- Suitable to microwave.