2 hrs 30 mins
You can adapt this basic recipe to use ingredients in your fridge and pantry. Try single flavours or combinations to make anything from vegetable broth to hearty lentil, chicken or thick creamy soup. As this soup is quick-cooking, use tender cuts of meat. Steaks and chops, with bones removed, are suitable to slice and add to soup. Chopped cooked beef, pork or chicken can be used, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil or 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped (or leek, shallots, green onions)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 300 g boneless meat chicken
- 3 cups finely chopped firm vegetables (potato, sweet potato, carrot, celery, turnip, parsnip, zucchini squash, sweet corn)
- 6 cups stock (beef, chicken, vegetable or fish; liquid or cubes)
- 1 cup penne pasta
- 1 cup chopped green vegetables (eg broccoli, spinach, green beans, peas, canned vegetables)
- salt and pepper
- herbs (eg, fresh or dried basil flat-leaf parsley, oregano)
- 1 cup red sweet pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (or fresh to taste)
- 1Heat oil or butter in large pan, then add onion and garlic.
- 2Add the chicken or boneless meat, thinly sliced or finely chopped, and cook, stirring, until browned.
- 3Add firm vegetables as they take the longest to cook.
- 4Cook, stirring, until vegetables are just soft.
- 5Add enough stock to cover the vegetable mixture in pan.
- 6Bring the stock to the boil.
- 7For a tomato-based soup, add a can of undrained crushed tomatoes.
- 8For a hearty soup, at this stage add pasta, if desired.
- 9Simmer, uncovered, until grains and vegetables are just tender.
- 10Pasta takes about 10 minutes to cook.
- 11When grains and vegetables are almost tender, add quick-cooking green vegetables, such as chopped broccoli, spinach, beans, peas, onions, or canned vegetables.
- 12If you prefer a thicker, smooth soup, blend or process mixture to the desired consistency.
- 13For a thicker soup with chunks of vegetables, blend only half of the soup until smooth.
- 14Return the soup to pan, adjust the consistency with a little water or extra stock, if necessary, and stir until hot.
- 15If using canned beans or lentils, drain, rinse, then add them.
- 16Stir until hot.
- 17Season soup with salt, pepper and chopped fresh herbs (or a teaspoon of dried) to taste.
- 18If soup needs a little more flavour, ingredients such as Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, chilli sauce, tomato paste, tomato puree or a can of creamed corn are great boosters.
- 19Suitable to freeze.
- 20Suitable to microwave.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 'Clean Out The Fridge' Soup
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.1
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 37.5 mg
- Sodium 36.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: