Recipe by bmjohan
My son loves my home made soups and the day he was arriving for a visit recently, I came up with this one. Wow! Beats any other chicken soup I've ever made and was a real hit. Very low fat too! You can substitute cream of chicken soup. At the time I had about 3/4 cup of freeze dried veggies that I added but store no longer carries them. To keep cooked chicken from getting too stringy, don't add till the end. I also add a tablespoon of Penzy's Garden Seasoning mix, if I have it on hand. Wonderful for extra flavor.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup leek, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Healthy Request cream of celery soup
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 6 ounces tortellini, dry
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- In large soup kettle, saute all veggies on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, canned soup and picante sauce. Simmer 1 hour or till veggies are tender.
- Add dried tortellini and cook another 20 minutes or till torellini are done.
- Add cooked chicken and heat another 10 minutes. Add milk and just heat through.