Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Clean Eating Magazine May/June 2009
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup stone-ground whole-grain brown rice flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 ounces light swiss cheese, finely shredded
- 5 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Lightly mist an 8-inch diameter (1 1/2 qt) casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spoon flour and salt into medium bowl and slowly whisk in enough milk to form a paste.
- Then add remaining milk, whisking as you do, making sure that no lumps remain.
- Place a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat and add flour-milk mixture.
- When milk is warm, add Swiss cheese and stir quickly and frequently with a wooden spoon until cheese is completely melted and incorporated.
- Add cheddar cheese and continue stirring until cheese is completely melted and mixture begins to thicken slightly.
- Stir in cooked macaroni, then transfer mixture to casserole dish.
- In small bowl, stir together breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over top of macaroni.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned.
- Allow to stand 5 minutes. Serve.