Vino Girl's Note:
From Clean Eating Magazine May/June 2009
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1/4 cup stone-ground whole-grain brown rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 ounces light swiss cheese, finely shredded
- 5 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat parmesan cheese
- 1Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- 2Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- 3Lightly mist an 8-inch diameter (1 1/2 qt) casserole dish with cooking spray.
- 4Spoon flour and salt into medium bowl and slowly whisk in enough milk to form a paste.
- 5Then add remaining milk, whisking as you do, making sure that no lumps remain.
- 6Place a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat and add flour-milk mixture.
- 7When milk is warm, add Swiss cheese and stir quickly and frequently with a wooden spoon until cheese is completely melted and incorporated.
- 8Add cheddar cheese and continue stirring until cheese is completely melted and mixture begins to thicken slightly.
- 9Stir in cooked macaroni, then transfer mixture to casserole dish.
- 10In small bowl, stir together breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- 11Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over top of macaroni.
- 12Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned.
- 13Allow to stand 5 minutes. Serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clean Mac 'n' Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.1
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.2 mg
- Sodium 329.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 17.6 g