Entered for safe-keeping. From Clean Eating, May/June 2009. A Japanese salad.
Make and share this Clean Eating Wakame Brown Rice Salad With Tofu recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dried shiitake mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup wakame seaweed, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes, then drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (can use vegan Soy Sauce Substitute With Very Low Sodium #295264)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 5 ounces medium firm tofu, cut into bite-size pieces
- Cook rice according to package directions; add carrot during last 5 minutes of cooking and mix.
- Meanwhile, soak mushrooms in a bowl with enough warm water to cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Drain and chop mushrooms.
- Transfer rice and carrots to a large mixing bowl. Add mushrooms, wakame and bell pepper. Combine well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, agave nectar (or honey), soy sauce, ginger and oil.
- Pour sauce over rice mixture and toss to combine.
- Carefully stir in tofu.
- Refrigerate for 2-4 hours for best flavor. Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 4 days.
This makes a very nice, healthy lunch. I made as written, except for shredding my carrots and leaving them raw. The only thing I would change is to cut back on the wakame- 1/4 cup dried is nearly 2 cups when hydrated, and I felt that the strong seaweed flavor kind of overpowered the other ingredients. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this dish, and would happily make it again.
Easy to prepare, great to eat, easy for entertaining as it can be fully prepared a day or two ahead. I saut?ed the carrots and capsicum then added to the rice. Add a bit more soy sauce.