Recipe by TattooedMamaof2
From an old copy of Clean Eating Magazine. We really enjoy this, I no longer have to feel guilty making tuna noodle casserole for the kids! I've made a few alterations to the original recipe
- 8 ounces whole wheat macaroni
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon low-fat parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large stockpot filled with water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and carrots, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat another large stockpot over medium-high heat. Mist with cooking spray and add celery and onion. Saute for about 5 minutes or until onions become translucent.
- Add oil and flour and whisk briskly. Add milk, whisking in 1/4 cup at a time. Reduce heat to medium. Whisk in Dijon. Then stir in drained pasta, carrots, tuna, peas, and dill. Remove from heat.
- Pour tuna pasta mixture into a large 8-to 10-cup casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned on top.