Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This low fat recipe is from "The Good Health Clay Pot Cookbook" in response to a request. The recipe claims that the salt can be deleted if desired..FYI, when the shanks or shin bones are used this dish it is more commonly known as Osso Bocco.
- 2 lbs stewing veal or 6 pieces veal shanks (or shin bones)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lb tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- Soak bottom and top of a 3 qt clay pot for 10 minutes, drain.
- Toss veal with flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet and brown meat.
- Place meat in clay pot.
- In the non-stick skillet, add onion, 1/2 the garlic and bay leaves and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in wine, chicken stock and tomatoes.
- Mix and cook til just warm.
- Pour into clay pot.
- Cover pot, place in cold oven.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
- Mix together remaining garlic, parsley and lemon rind.
- Sprinkle mixture over the finished stew and serve.