1/1 Photo of Clay Pot Sesame Chicken
1 hr 5 mins
From Dana Jacobi’s book, The Best of Clay Pot Cooking. She says, “Cooking in a clay pot gives you a particularly succulent version of this popular dish. Serve it hot, right from the pot, accompanied by steamed broccoli and rice. Or let the chicken cool, shred the meat, and serve it as a salad tossed in its velvety, nutty sauce.” My husband and I really enjoy this recipe. Prep time doesn’t include clay pot soaking time, typically 15 minutes in lukewarm water; new pots require about 30 minutes; drain thoroughly. Soaking time is not an issue for me as I do my prep work while the pot is soaking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, mined
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sake (rice wine) or 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon chinese red rice vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 whole chicken breasts, skinned and split
- 1/2 cup scallion, chopped (white & tender green parts)
- 1Pre-soak 3-quart clay pot.
- 2Combine the peanut butter, ginger, garlic, five spice powder, broth, soy sauce, sake, vinegar, sesame oil, hot pepper flakes, and pepper in medium size bowl. Mix well.
- 3Arrange the chicken breasts in one layer in the soaked 3-quart clay pot. Pour the peanut mixture over the chicken, turning to coat well. Cover the pot and place it in a cold oven. Set the oven temperature to 450°F and cook for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- 4Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and garnish with the scallions.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clay Pot Sesame Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.5
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 586.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 39.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder