Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
I found this somewhere on the internet.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) chicken
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sliced (reserve the rinds)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- cornstarch, to thicken
- Presoak pot, top and bottom, in water for fifteen minutes.
- Wash chicken, inside and out, under running cold water.
- Rub inside of chicken with salt, pepper and pressed garlic.
- Stuff with orange slices, peeled.
- Place chicken in pot, breast down.
- Grate the orange rind and sprinkle over chicken.
- Add orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, allspice and brown sugar.
- Place covered pot in cold oven. Turn temperature to 250°C.
- Cook 90 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- Ten minutes before done, remove from oven, pour liquid into saucepan.
- Return the pot, uncovered, to oven for final 10 minutes to brown the chicken.
- Meanwhile, bring sauce to a boil and thicken with cornstarch or arrowroot.
- You may want to add a bit of brown sugar to the sauce, to taste.
This had good flavor; I think the next time I make it--I will make a paste of the orange-soy mixture and spread it under the chicken skin. Thanks for posting!
Yummy! The mixed flavor of the orange and chicken was good. I used my pure clay pot to cook and it was perfectly cooked, soft and juicy. The far-infrared heat emitted from the walls of the pot let seasoning & spices penetrate deeper, giving you a delicious food, perfectly cook and healthier because it seals all the nutrients in the food. The clay used is sourced and handcrafted in US. I got mine from miriamsearthencookware.com (online).
It only took me a year to review this great recipe LOL....Don't get me wrong it is awesome. I just forgot and saw the photo and realized ...OOPS. It was very tender and had a wonderful flavor of oranges. The sauce was also yummy!!! Thanks Jewelies for your patients :)