Recipe by mersaydees
Based on a recipe from The Best of Clay Pot Cooking cookbook. Cooking time does not include the time it takes to soak the chickpeas in water overnight.
Top Review by Elmotoo
Well! Dh doesn't like ot roast but he did say the flavors & the stuff other than the meat was very good. THE PICKY ONE is following suit & claiming she doesn't like the texture of this cut of meat. I LOVE POT ROAST. And this was no exception - delicious!! The eggs seemed odd but we all agreed they were the best 'hard boiled eggs' we'd ever had, lol. The sweet potatoes were a bit overcooked, imo. It needed a good healthy dose of salt in the end. Thank you! Made for NA*ME Tag.
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight in water to cover & drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 lbs chuck roast or 2 lbs beef brisket
- 2 sweet potatoes or 2 yams, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 3 large eggs
- 3 -4 cups chicken broth or 3 -4 cups water
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the chickpeas, onion, garlic, raisins, pepper, cinnamon, mace, and turmeric in a pre-soaked 4-quart clay pot.
- Place the meat on the chickpea mixture.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes and whole eggs around the meat.
- Add enough broth or water so the meat and eggs are nearly covered.
- Cover the pot and place in a cold oven.
- Set the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Cook for about 4 hours, until the meat is tender, adding liquid as needed so the eggs are always at least partly submerged.
- To serve, peel and quarter the eggs. Make a bed of chickpeas and yams on each plate and top with slices of beef and pieces of eggs.