Recipe by mersaydees
This is adapted from a recipe that came with my Schlemmertopf clay pot.
Top Review by Know what I like
We made this recipe as is except that our 3qt pot would not hold the potatoes so we baked those separately. The flavor was fantastic though I would have added more paprika. For some reason it didn't have the 'punch' we had anticipated. This was the maiden voyage for our pot and it was a great choice. We own a Romertopf and not the Shlemmertopf (glazed) Thanks for the simple but tasty recipe!
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs frying chicken, cut in serving pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 4 medium potatoes, cut as for French frying
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- 4 slices bacon, sliced cross-ways
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak your clay cooker per its manufacturer's instructions; in my case, I soak the lid of my Glazed Schlemmertopf for 10 minutes before use.
- Place bacon, onions and green pepper into the clay pot.
- Salt and pepper the chicken pieces, sprinkle with paprika, then add to the pot along with the potatoes.
- Cover and bake at 425° for 1 hour 20 minutes (my clay pot requires going into a non-preheated cold oven before setting the oven temperature).
- Remove clay pot from oven; if adding sour cream, whisk it in at this time (I usually remove everything first then add it back in). Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve with crusty French bread.