Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a fairly quick casserole dish with little fussing. Can be made cooked 1-2 days ahead or will freeze for up to 1 month with sweet potato/carrot omitted (steam/boil separately when dish is reheating). From Family Circle Chinese & Asian cookbook.
- Wash chicken under cold water. Pat dry with absorbent paper.
- Cut into small pieces. Place in a dish with the soy sauce and sherry, cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Soak mushrooms in hot water to cover for 30 minutes. Drain, squeeze to remove excess liquid. Remove stems and chop caps into shreds.
- Wash leeks thoroughly to remove all grit; cut leeks and sweet potato/carrot into thin slices.
- Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade. Heat half the oil in a wok or heavy-based frying pan.
- Carefully add half the chicken pieces and stirfry briefly until seared on all sides. Transfer to a flameproof clay pot or casserole dish; stirfry the remaining chicken and add to the clay pot.
- Heat remaining oil in wok, add leek and ginger, stirfry for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, the remaining marinade, stock and sesame oil.
- Transfer to the clay pot, add sweet potato/carrot and cook, covered, on the top of the stove over a very low heat for about 20 minutes (I cooked in the oven 160 degrees celcius for 20 minutes).
- Dissolve cornflour with a little water and add to the pot. Cook, stirring, until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables at once with rice or noodles.
Fast, easy & delicious! This recipe has my family's favorite flavors & it was eaten very happily with some rice. Made for the Oz recipe swap 12/07. Thank you!
This was a wonderful, easy to prepare recipe. The whole family enjoyed it served with rice. Even my fussy hubby who is not keen on trying new things told me he'd like to have it again. I think it's a really winner. (Wish I could put a thumbs up emoticon here. LOL)