This is a fairly quick casserole dish with little fussing. Can be made cooked 1-2 days ahead or will freeze for up to 1 month with sweet potato/carrot omitted (steam/boil separately when dish is reheating). From Family Circle Chinese & Asian cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash chicken under cold water. Pat dry with absorbent paper.
- 2Cut into small pieces. Place in a dish with the soy sauce and sherry, cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- 3Soak mushrooms in hot water to cover for 30 minutes. Drain, squeeze to remove excess liquid. Remove stems and chop caps into shreds.
- 4Wash leeks thoroughly to remove all grit; cut leeks and sweet potato/carrot into thin slices.
- 5Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade. Heat half the oil in a wok or heavy-based frying pan.
- 6Carefully add half the chicken pieces and stirfry briefly until seared on all sides. Transfer to a flameproof clay pot or casserole dish; stirfry the remaining chicken and add to the clay pot.
- 7Heat remaining oil in wok, add leek and ginger, stirfry for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, the remaining marinade, stock and sesame oil.
- 8Transfer to the clay pot, add sweet potato/carrot and cook, covered, on the top of the stove over a very low heat for about 20 minutes (I cooked in the oven 160 degrees celcius for 20 minutes).
- 9Dissolve cornflour with a little water and add to the pot. Cook, stirring, until the mixture boils and thickens.
- 10Serve the chicken and vegetables at once with rice or noodles.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clay Pot Chicken and Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.4
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 104.6 mg
- Sodium 446.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 28.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: