Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This chicken comes out very tender. Not sure where the recipe came from. I think it was probably an email.
- 1 1⁄2 kg whole chickens, cut into sections
- cornstarch, for thickening
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pressed garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- In a non-metal bowl, combine the ingredients for the marinade, mix well, and marinate the pieces of chicken for at least half a day, turning frequently.
- When ready to cook, presoak pot, top and bottom, in water for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken and the marinade to the pot.
- Place covered pot in a cold oven.
- Set temperature to 450 degrees F.
- Cook 45 minutes.
- Ten minutes before end of cooking time, remove the pot and pour off the liquid into a saucepan.
- Return the pot to the oven, uncovered, for the final 10 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, bring the liquid in saucepan to a boil and thicken with cornstarch.
- Serve with rice, liberally drenched with the sauce.
- For an optional Chinese touch, sprinkle the chicken with almonds and sesame seeds.
I love my clay cooker and I am always on the lookout for ways to use it. This is one of the best I have found. Delicious, moist chicken and wonderful rich sauce. i think the marinade/sauce would be good with pork also. Thank you for a great dinner!
Nice recipe and easy to prepare. Great flavor! Rice and steamed veggies were a good side that I added. I would recommend this as an alternate to the usual chicken dinners. I plan on trying this recipe with chicken bites for a pot luck.
I only used two whole breasts but the flavor was great. I could really taste the Chinese five spice powder. Served with spinach salad and Nona's Japanese Creamy Sesame Salad Dressing.