1/1 Photo of Clay-Pot Chicken
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 10 mins
A delicious spicy chicken with a delicate hint of coconut. The tomato and coriander really make this dish! And it's really simple to make and easy to prepare ahead of time!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 45 ml grated coconut
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1 small onions or 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 cm lemongrass
- 2 1/2 cm fresh gingerroot, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 400 g coconut milk
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 15 ml granulated sugar
- 15 ml rice wine vinegar or 15 ml white wine vinegar
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (to garnish)
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- 2Dry fry the coconut in a large wok until evenly browned. Add the vegetable oil, shallots or onion, garlic, lemon grass, ginger, chillies and tamarind paste. Fry for 2 - 4 minutes to release the flavours. Add the chicken pieces to the wok and brown evenly with the spices for 2 - 3 minutes.
- 3Strain the coconut milk, and add the thin part with the chicken stock, lime leaves, if using, sugar and vinegar. Transfer to a glazed clay pot, cover and bake in the centre of the oven for 50 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Stir in the thick part of the coconut milk and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- 4Place the tomatoes in a bowl and cover with boiling water to loosen and remove the skins. halve the tomatoes, then remove the seeds and chop into large dice.
- 5Add the chopped tomatoes to the finished dish, sprinkle with the chopped coriander and serve.
- 6Plain rice is the usual accompaniment, but I normally serve with Naan Bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clay-Pot Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 653.5
- Calories from Fat 379
- Total Fat 42.1 g
- Saturated Fat 27.5 g
- Cholesterol 153.3 mg
- Sodium 405.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 56.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar