By Claudia Sidoti from Food Network Magazine. There are lots of great reviews on their site.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 piece ginger, 2 inches peeled and grated
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups chunky applesauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 425. Peel and dice 2 1/2 sweet potatoes. Melt 2 T butter in large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook til soft, about 5 minute Stir in the ginger, nutmeg, 1 1/4 t curry, and some salt and pepper. Cook til toasted, about 1 minute.
- 2Add the diced sweet potatoes, broth, and 2 c water to pot. Cover and bring to a boil over med-high. Reduce heat to med-low and stir in the applesauce. Simmer, covered, until the sweet potatoes are soft, about 20 minute Puree the soup with blender til smooth. Season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- 3Meanwhile, peel and thinly slice the remaining 1/2 sweet potato and toss with the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet (I would line it with parchment) and bake til crisp, 7-10 minute.
- 4Heat remaining 1 T butter in skillet over med heat. Add the remaining 1/4 t curry powder and cook, stirring, til browned; remove from hat and add the vinegar. Top soup with curry butter, cilantro and sweet potato chips.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Claudia's Curried Sweet Potato-Apple Soup
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.0
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 114.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: