Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
By Claudia Sidoti from Food Network Magazine. There are lots of great reviews on their site.
Make and share this Claudia's Curried Sweet Potato-Apple Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 piece ginger, 2 inches peeled and grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated plus more for garnish
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups chunky applesauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425. Peel and dice 2 1/2 sweet potatoes. Melt 2 T butter in large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook til soft, about 5 minute Stir in the ginger, nutmeg, 1 1/4 t curry, and some salt and pepper. Cook til toasted, about 1 minute.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes, broth, and 2 c water to pot. Cover and bring to a boil over med-high. Reduce heat to med-low and stir in the applesauce. Simmer, covered, until the sweet potatoes are soft, about 20 minute Puree the soup with blender til smooth. Season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, peel and thinly slice the remaining 1/2 sweet potato and toss with the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet (I would line it with parchment) and bake til crisp, 7-10 minute.
- Heat remaining 1 T butter in skillet over med heat. Add the remaining 1/4 t curry powder and cook, stirring, til browned; remove from hat and add the vinegar. Top soup with curry butter, cilantro and sweet potato chips.