Recipe by KitchenManiac
This is a simple French Onion Soup. On cold cold days, stir in a teaspoon of brandy into the soup before grilling. From Jill Dupleix's "New Food".
- 480 g onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped
- 30 g butter
- 500 ml white wine
- 1 liter chicken stock or 1 liter vegetable stock
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 slices baguette, cut 1 inch thick
- 120 g gruyere, grated (3/4 cup)
- 4 teaspoons brandy (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add onions, garlic, thyme, wine and butter into heavy pan and cook uncovered for 40 minutes on LOW heat.
- Cook till onions are soft and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat the grill.
- Divide onions among four warmed bowls and pour on boiling stock.
- Place a round of bread on each soup and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted and serve while still very hot and bubbling.