Recipe by C & D's Mommy
A very pretty, pretty easy cake to make. Even though it doesn't look like it from the instructions....) This turned out the first time I made it, and my in-laws thought I bought it somewhere! Nope! Made all by me! You can use whatever candy type decorations you want, but I stuck with only the Marzipan, making holly leaves and berries. Then I wrote 'Merry Christmas' on top of the cake, and that was it! I know it looks like a long process to make this, but it's worth the effort.
Top Review by ProduceGirl
Thought it would be fun to make this for a holiday party I'm attending tonight. Wish I would have tried it last night since it didn't turn out. Crud. Something is wrong with the icing part of the recipe. It won't solidify at all. I'm left with just a gooey mess all over the log and plate. Just wasted 4 hours... marzipan took over an hour! I won't be making this again. :-(
- 1⁄2 cup sifted flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 cup icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, whipped with
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄8 cup icing sugar
- colour food coloring (I do red and green)
- 8 ounces marzipan, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 15 X 10" jelly roll pan. Line with a sheet of waxed paper. Grease paper as well.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In separte bowl, beat together sugar and egg yolks. Alternate adding the milk and the flour mixture into the egg and sugar mix.
- In another separtate bowl, using clean mixer blades, beat egg whites until stiff but not dried out. Fold one third of the egg whites into the other mixture. Then carefully fold in remaining egg whites.
- Spread batter into pan, smooth out the top.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until set.
- While waiting for cake to cook, prepare whipping cream. Beat whipping cream with 1 tablespoon sugar until thick. Set aside in the fridge.
- When cake is done, remove from oven. Dust a clean tea towel with icing sugar. Turn cake out onto this. Remove waxed paper. Cut edges of cake to make a nice even looking rectangle. Starting with the short side, roll the cake up jelly-roll style. Transfer seam side down to a rack for cooling. (30 minutes).
- While cake is cooling, prepare icing:.
- In a small pot, bring cream, melted chocolate and butter to a low boil over medium low heat. Stir vigorously until blended. Remove from heat and let stand.
- On a flat surface dusted with remaining icing sugar, knead food colouring into each piece of marzipan, (as many colours as you'd like)until well blended.
- Unroll the now cooled cake and spread the whipped cream over it to with 1 inch of all sides. Re-roll cake. Place seam side down on serving dish.
- Spread icing over top and sides and ends of cake.
- Roll out marzipam with a rolling pin and cut into various shapes with cookie cutters or a knife. Arrange on cake. Sift a small amount of icing sugar on completed cake to make it looked like a light dusting of snow.