Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe source Cuisine at Home, December 2007
- 8 cups French bread, cubed and staled (cube and let sit until dried out)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten until frothy
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and coat a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place casserole dish on a foil-lined baking sheet and set aside.
- Soak bread in milk while you prepare other ingredients.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions and celery and cook 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft. Stir broth, onion mixture and herbs into bread and then add eggs, salt and pepper and gently stir until incorporated. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for one hour or until center is set.