Recipe by the80srule
From King Arthur Flour, this is cool because it's made in a pie pan opposed to a regular baking pan. Could probably sub the butter for oil and white flour for wheat flour easily. I'm including both the original instructions, and bread machine instructions!
Top Review by WyomingMoonDust
These were easy, fast and yummy. I did tinker with the recipe however. I added 2 tsp of oregeno, parmesian cheese and freshly minced garlic to the milk mixture in the pan before adding to the flour pan.. Great flavor for a laid back spagehetti dinner! Thanks!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- OLD SCHOOL METHOD: combine 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat the milk, water, and butter until warm, then add to the flour mixture.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed with an electric mixer, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Add 1/4 cup flour, beat 2 minutes at high speed.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough, knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
- Cover, let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces and shape into balls. Place in a greased 8" pie pan. Cover and let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Go to Step #9!
- BREAD MACHINE METHOD: Place the ingredients in the order required by your bread machine. With mine, I have to proof the yeast first in the sugar and water for 10-15 minutes. After proofing, do a regular 1-lb dough cycle in your machine. Mine takes 90 minutes. (NOTE- I'd recommend using closer to 2 1/2-3 cups flour for the bread machine method as mine tends to produce runny dough time to time.).
- When the dough cycle's finished, divide the dough into 12 pieces and shape into balls. Place them into a greased 8" pie pan.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or until set. Remove from the pan and brush with melted butter if desired, serve warm and immediately.