1/1 Photo of Classic White Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
I just took this out of the oven no more than 5 minutes ago, and the house smells wonderful. I am eating a thick slice slathered with butter right now, and I am loving it. I will definitely use this recipe again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water. Stir in 2 2/3 cups warm water, sugar, salt, shortening and 5 cups of the flour.
- 2Beat until smooth.
- 3Mix in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- 4Turn dough onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- 5Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up.
- 6Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour (dough is ready if impression remains).
- 7Punch dough down; divide in half.
- 8Roll each half into rectangle, 18 x 9 inches.
- 9Roll up, beginning at short side.
- 10With side of hand, press each end to seal.
- 11Fold ends under loaf.
- 12Place seam side down in greased loaf pan, 9 x 5 x 3 inches (or three 8.5 x 4.5 x 2 inch loaf pans).
- 13Brush loaves lightly with butter.
- 14Let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- 15Heat oven to 425.
- 16Place loaves on low rack so that top of pans are in center of oven.
- 17Pans should not touch each other or sides of oven.
- 18Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until deep golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- 19Remove from pans immediately.
- 20Brush loaves with soft butter; cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (2059 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2343.2
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3516.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 457.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.6 g
- Sugars 26.4 g
- Protein 61.7 g