Random Rachel's Note:
"Serve this refreshing cold soup as a first course or as a light lunch, accompanied by a green salad." By James Peterson, from Fine Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the leeks, potatoes, milk, and 2 cups water in a 4-quart pot.
- 2Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until a potato slice falls apart when you poke it with a fork, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the cream, and let cool briefly.
- 3Purée the soup with an immersion blender.
- 4Strain the puréed soup. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin, and then refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- 5Before serving, thin the soup with water or milk if necessary—it should be the consistency of heavy cream. Serve cold, and garnish with chives.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Vichyssoise (Chilled Leek and Potato Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.0
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 62.4 mg
- Sodium 63.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 5.2 g