Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A wonderful pie you can top with meringue or whipped cream.
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) prepared pie crusts, baked
- 3 cups meringues (optional)
- 3 cups homemade whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F, if using meringue.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and flour.
- Stir in half and half and egg yolks.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture into prepared pie crust.
- If making meringue, spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to edge of pie crust.
- Bake for 23 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack and store in refrigerator.
- If covering the pie with homemade whipped cream, spread whipped cream over hot filling, sealing to edge of pie crust.