Use high quality chocolate for these brownies. I like these made with Callebaut or Scharffen-Berger unsweetened. To make these with bittersweet chocolate instead, use 6 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, 7 tablespoons butter and 1 cup sugar. To make with semisweet chocolate, substitute 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, 5 tablespoons butter and 2/3 cup sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line a 8x8 pan with foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pot of barely simmering water until smooth, stirring often.
- Remove bowl from heat and stir in sugar vanilla and salt.
- Add eggs one at a time, stirring thoroughly.
- Stir in flour and beat with a spoon or rubber spatula for a minute or two until smooth and glossy.
- Stir in nuts.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth to even it.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with some thick gooey batter clinging to it.
Lacking cocoa powder, I was seeking out recipes that called for unsweetened chocolate squares which I strangely had on hand. Amazingly, I had all of the other pantry ingredients as well and ended up making this recipe on a whim -- before anyone had uploaded a photo. This recipe is rich, decadent, oh-so-chocolately and actually super simple to make.
I'm not a wildly talented baker but I nailed it on the first try. Brownie-wise, I prefer them slightly gooey so I only baked these for the minimum 30 minutes and they were perfect. Plus, they are so indulgent, I really couldn't eat more than one or two -- so portion control was naturally built in. Great stuff! Thanks Saguaro!
PS -- If you served these while still slightly warm over vanilla ice cream, it would be beyond.
Excellent. I used gluten free flour blend and Dove Chocolate Discoveries baking chocolate. Used a Pampered Chef brownie pan (the kind where you get individual brownies for us corner lovers). I baked for 25 min.
Amazing brownie recipe. I will never use brownie mix again. The recipe is so simple to use. I always thought making brownies from scratch would be hard. These are so tasty and gooey. And it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. I used my kitchenaid mixer, but I kept it on stir mode. I didn't want too many air bubbles in the batter. Love this recipe!