Use high quality chocolate for these brownies. I like these made with Callebaut or Scharffen-Berger unsweetened. To make these with bittersweet chocolate instead, use 6 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, 7 tablespoons butter and 1 cup sugar. To make with semisweet chocolate, substitute 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, 5 tablespoons butter and 2/3 cup sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line a 8x8 pan with foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pot of barely simmering water until smooth, stirring often.
- Remove bowl from heat and stir in sugar vanilla and salt.
- Add eggs one at a time, stirring thoroughly.
- Stir in flour and beat with a spoon or rubber spatula for a minute or two until smooth and glossy.
- Stir in nuts.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth to even it.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with some thick gooey batter clinging to it.