Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is the no-fail recipe that I have used many times in the past to stuff a turkey --- you may use 2-1/2 teaspoons ground sage in place of 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning if desired. purchase your bread about 3 days before using to make slicing easier. To save some time you can toast the bread cubes days in advance or prepare the complete stuffing up to 2 days in advance and refrigerate. This will make enough stuffing for a 12-16 pound turkey or a very large roasting chicken, about 12-13 cups stuffing cooked. If you are not a garlic-lover then omit the garlic completey or reduce the amount to taste. Prep time includes baking the bread cubes, and yield is only estimated. I also like to add in a large red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped but that is optional.
- 1 loaf white sliced sandwich bread (purchase a 675-gram loaf bread)
- 3 large onions, finely chopped (the largest you can find!)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitutes!)
- 4 large celery ribs, finely chopped (including the leaves)
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground savory
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt (or use 1-2 teaspoons white salt, or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and coarsley chopped (can use 2 cans if desired for a more nutty flavor)
- Remove the crusts from the bread slices.
- Slice bread into 1/2-inch pieces (does not have to be exact, you should have about 12-14 cups cubes).
- Spread the bread cubes on a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally and rotating the sheet/s halfway through baking time until the cubes are lightly toasted; place in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat until HOT and sizzling.
- Add in onions, garlic and celery (with the chopped leaves) stir immediately with wooden spoon; add in the poultry seasoning, seasoned salt and black pepper; saute for about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir the onion/celery mixture along with the chopped water chestnuts into the bread cubes; toss well to combine.
- Add in more seasoned salt (or white salt) and black pepper if desired to taste.
- Let the stuffing cool completely before stuffing the turkey or roasting chicken.