Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is great if you're looking for the perfect recipe for traditional tuna salad. I got it from one of my favorite Cook's Illustrated cookbooks. The texture is perfect and not watery, which is one of the things I've always hated about some tuna salad recipes. The lemon juice also gives it a nice fresh flavor.
- 2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna packed in water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 stalk celery, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons red onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons dill pickles or 2 tablespoons sweet gherkins, minced
- 1⁄2 clove garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1/8 tsp.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Place the tuna in a colander and drain well.
- Shred the tuna with your fingers, breaking up any clumps until it has a fine and even texture.
- Put the tuna in a medium bowl and mix in the lemon juice, celery, onion, pickles, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley until well blended.
- Fold in the mayonnaise and Dijon until mixture is evenly moistened.
- Salad can be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
A usual recipe...but I am from the "olive oil" packed albacore tuna rather than water packed. The flavor of olive oil packed tuna is twice as flavorful.
This tuna salad is awesome! Very fresh tasting and just the kind of thing you would get at a restaurant. I reduced the lemon juice to 1 tablespoon and the salt to 1/4 teaspoon. I also used green onions for a milder flavor.
ABSOLUTELY THE BEST TUNA SALAD EVER!!!!! A classic version, which I have searched for quite some time, really hit the mark. I didn't want anything exotic, just something similar to what you receive in restaurants. It has depth and is well-rounded....nothing is too overpowering. I only used a few shakes of parsley (and it was dried not fresh), and I only used two capfuls of lemon juice, so it may have been less than the recipie, but everything else was fresh and exact as the recipie. I would highly recommend this recipie!