1/3 Photos of Classic Tuna Mornay
I wanted to make this recipe for old time sake. My mum used to make it often and for some reason I craved it last night for dinner. I found this in the Woman's Weekly, and served it with a side salad. I had never made it for the family before, but I think it may be on our menu a little more often now. I actaully used leftovers the next day for a picnic, I liked it cold and might add a few vegies next time for a tuna slice for a picnic. The pasta I used was Penne the original recipe suggests Tortiglioni. Tuna should be in brine or spring-water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g short pasta
- 40 g butter
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (optional)
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated gruyere or 1 cup tasty cheese
- 425 g tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 30 g butter, melted
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add pasta and cook according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside for later.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Lightly grease a 1.5 litre capacity dish.
- 3Melt butter in a medium sized heavy based saucepan. Sprinkle over flour, whisk and cook for about 1 minute or until the flour has lost its raw smell and smells a bit nutty. Gradually whisk in milk and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring until slightly thickened.
- 4Remove mixture from heat, add onion and quickly beat in the eggs, if using. Season with salt and white pepper and stir though the gruyere or tasty cheese, drained tuna, pasta, parsley, nutmeg and lemon juice.
- 5Pour into prepared dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and pour over melted butter. Sprinkle with the parmesan. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until golden.
- 6Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- 7Note ~ I made ny own breadcrumbs by processing 3 slices day old bread, and then poured the melted butter in the processor for final processing to mix inches.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Tuna Mornay
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.2
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 111.4 mg
- Sodium 420.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 35.6 g