Perfect to go with that grilled cheese! This version of tomato soup starts with smoky bacon and gets better from there. It's comforting and savory. I have used half and half instead of the cream, 3 tablespoons. I think it would also be good using basil instead of the thyme. Please note, this only serves 2, you may need to double or triple the recipe. From Saveur magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices smoked bacon, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small carrot, halved and thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes, well drained
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1Render bacon over medium heat in a 3-quart saucepan until crisp, about three minutes. Remove bacon to paper-towel lined plate and set aside, reserving the rendered fat in the saucepan.
- 2Increase heat to medium-high and add the butter. Sauté the onion and carrot for 8-10 minutes or until very soft and beginning to caramelize, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add the tomato paste and continue cooking about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetable mixture, mix well and continue cooking for another minute.
- 4Gradually pour in the stock, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- 5Add the diced tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer soup for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Remove soup from the heat. Add the heavy cream and puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- 7Season to taste and serve garnished with the crisped bacon.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Tomato Soup With Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.7
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 44.1 mg
- Sodium 623.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 11.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: