Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Everyday Food, March 2006.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (28 ounce) canswhole peeled tomatoes with juice (with basil, if available)
- Melt butter over medium heat in a 5 quart saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add oil and onion, salt and pepper.
- Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and tomato paste, and cook 1 minute.
- Add thyme, broth, and tomatoes (break up tomatoes).
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove thyme sprigs.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or in batches in a conventional blender. Only puree about 1/2 the soup so some chunks remain.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.