Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe was passed on to me by a farmers wife Barbara nearly 50 years ago, they had seven children so be prepared as this makes a big pie! Its a beautiful cheesecake with a wonderful tangy lemon taste and its light not heavy at all and the gingernut biscuit pie crust give it a wonderful contrast of flavours .
- 250 g biscuits, ginger nut or 250 g arrowroot
- 175 g margarine
- 1 (375 ml) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 lemon jelly, packets
- 250 g cheese, Cream Philly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 lemons, medium
- 2⁄3 cup water, hot
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, granulated
- Crush the biscuits (if you can not get ginger flavour use a plain biscuit) and add the warmed margarine and mix well - line a 28cm inch pie dish with the biscuit mix and bake at 175c for 10 minutes.
- Dissolve Jelly in boiling water, allow to cool and add the zest and juice of two lemons (average sized).
- Beat the evaporated milk so that it forms slight peaks and looks fluffy add about a third to the room temperature cream cheese and beat until it becomes creamy then add the rest of the milk, lastly add the sugar and vanilla.
- Add the creamed mixture to the jelly - mixing well - using the beaters for a few seconds on low will be perfect and pour into the pie crust.
- Chill in the Fridge either overnight or for 4 hours. Decorate and enjoy.
- You can make two smaller pies and they freeze really well.