Recipe by chef 29271
I don't know why some people are afraid to try sweet potato pie even though they love pumpkin pie. If anyone is unsure about whether they should try it I encourage them by asking, "Which do you like better--squash or mashed potatoes?" Works every time. It has nearly the same flavor as a pumpkin pie.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 2 large)
- 1 10-inch pie shell
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 beaten eggs
- whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pierce sweet potatoes and microwave for 8 to 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- (Or you can bake them in 375°F oven for approximately 45 minutes.) Cool.
- Partially bake pastry shell in a 450°F oven for 5 minutes.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F Peel sweet potatoes.
- Place all pie ingredients in food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour 3/4 of mixture into pastry shell.
- Cover edges of pastry with foil strip to keep it from browning too much.
- Place on oven rack and then spoon in remaining sweet potato mixture.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil from edges and bake another 20 to 25 minutes more until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator.
- Serve with whipped cream.