Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
Delicious classic sugar cookies
- 3⁄4 cup shortening or 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, Softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups gold medal flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix together shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Blend in flour, baking powder and salt. Cover dough and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat over to 400 degrees.
- Roll dough 1/8 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. place on a ungreased baking sheet. Bake 6 - 8 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Butterscotch Sugar Cookies: Substitute brown sugar for the sugar and add 1 cup of black walnuts.
- Filled Sugar Cookies: Before baking, put cookies together in pairs with 1 tsp of your favorite filling or a chocolate mint wafer. Press edges together with a fork. This will make 2 dozen cookies.