Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful recipe for classic stuffed bell peppers, that I've been making for my family for over 30 years now! These are always gobbled right up!! Makes great leftovers, too. Do try the easy microwave method for blanching the peppers--it is truly the way to go--soo easy and no big pot to clean up! Note: I use the oven method to bake the stuffed peppers-- but the entire dish can be made, start to finish, in the microwave (which is especially nice in the summertime, when you don't want to heat up your kitchen). I've included both methods. Tip: I sometimes stir in about 1/2 cup of the shredded mozzarella to the stuffing mixture, and sprinkle the stuffed the peppers with the remaining mozzarella before covering and baking. And a good shortcut is to brown the ground beef in a medium saucepan along with the onion, and add the corn and seasonings; transfer to a covered bowl while cooking the rice in the same pan. When the rice is done, simply pour the ground beef mixture in with the rice in the pot, stir in the tomato sauce and you are ready to stuff your peppers. Easy! I hope you enjoy! :D
- 6 large green bell peppers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup rice (measured dry, before cooking) or 1 cup brown rice, cooked (measured dry, before cooking)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernel (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Cut thin slice from stem end of each pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse. Place peppers, with tops, upright in ungreased 9x12 inch glass baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap; microwave until hot, 3 to 4 minutes--(note: do NOT cook peppers until done, you are just blanching them, 3 to 4 minutes should be plenty, depending on the size of your peppers). Proceed to finish cooking in microwave OR in oven (see following instructions).
- OVEN METHOD: Cook and stir hamburger and onion until hamburger is light brown; drain if necessary. Stir in salt, pepper, garlic powder, cooked rice, corn (if using), and 1 cup of the tomato sauce; heat through.
- Stuff each pepper with hamburger mixture; stand upright in ungreased baking dish, 9x12 inches. Pour remaining sauce over peppers. Replace tops (stem ends) on peppers. Cover with foil; cook in 350 degree F oven 45 minutes. Uncover; cook 15 minutes longer. Remove from oven and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- MICROWAVE METHOD: (This is a good technique in warm weather, when you don't want to heat up your kitchen!): Mix cooked rice, uncooked hamburger, onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, corn, and 1 cup of the tomato sauce. Stuff each pepper with about 1/2 cup of the hamburger mixture. Pour remaining sauce over peppers. Replace tops on peppers. Cover with plastic wrap; microwave 7 minutes on HIGH. Turn plate; microwave until mixture is done, 7 to 8 minutes longer. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese at the table. Makes 6 servings.
I did the microwave version and used ground turkey instead of beef. Also added a bit of organic quinoa. Delicious!