1/2 Photos of Classic Sponge Cake With Raspberries and Cream Filling
The quickest, melts-in-your-mouth cake ever!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the sponge
- 175 g plain flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 175 g caster sugar
- 175 g butter, very soft (must be at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling
- 250 g raspberries
- 4 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 250 ml double cream
- sifted icing sugar
- 1You will need 2 8-inch sponge tins, lightly greased and lined with parchment paper.
- 2Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 3/325F/170°C.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour and baking powder.
- 4Add all the other 'sponge' ingredients to the bowl and whisk everything together until you have a smooth, well-combined mixture which will take about a minute.
- 5The mixture should drop easily off a spoon when you give it a tap (if it seems a little too stiff, add 1 tablespoon of water and mix again).
- 6Now divide the mixture between the 2 prepared tins and level it.
- 7Place on the centre shelf of the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes (DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR for the 1st 30 minutes).
- 8To test if they are cooked, touch the centre lightly with your finger - if it leaves no impression and springs back, the cake is cooked.
- 9Remove them from the oven and let it cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning them out on to a wire rack.
- 10Carefully peel off the base papers and leave the sponges to get completely cold.
- 11For the filling, beat the double cream till soft peak.
- 12Now on the base layer, first spread half of the jam then spread half of the double cream and then scatter the raspberries all over.
- 13Spread the remaining cream and drizzle the rest of the jam.
- 14Place the second layer on top, press very lightly to sandwich everything together.
- 15Lightly dust the top of the cake with icing sugar before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Sponge Cake With Raspberries and Cream Filling
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 697.5
- Calories from Fat 380
- Total Fat 42.2 g
- Saturated Fat 25.5 g
- Cholesterol 213.5 mg
- Sodium 415.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 37.7 g
- Protein 8.5 g