Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I just used ground beef and skipped the meat ball part. Used fresh garden tomatoes and added a little tomato sauce instead of canned. Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 3 tablespoons grated romano cheese
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes, broken up
- 1⁄2 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- To make meatballs, mix together beef, bread crumbs, Romano, half of garlic, the egg, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in large bowl until well combined. With damp hands, shape mixture into 30 1 inch meatballs.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, in two batches, until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- To make tomato sauce, heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, remaining garlic, and the oregano and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with their juice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Add meatballs and return to simmer. Cook partially covered, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions, omitting salt if desired and drain well.
- Divide pasta evenly among 6 shallow bowls and top evenly with meatballs and sauce.