Recipe by veraj9170
My dad loves these! They are soft and just a bit salty. Every time I take them out of the oven to cool, there's always 2 missing and he's whistling. These are great warm with mustard.
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 ounces dry yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine yeast, warm water and sugar with pinch of salt in a dish and leave to foam for 5 minutes. Sift flour and remaining salt in a medium bowl. Add yeast mixture and 3/4 cup water and stir until everything comes together. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Place in a slightly oiled bowl and turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise for 1 hour.
- Dissolve baking soda in 1 cup cold water. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Punch down dough and cut into 8 pieces. Roll out each piece until approximately 18 inches long and twist into a pretzel shape. Dip pretzel into baking soda mixture and place on parchment covered baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Repeat with remaining pretzels.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown.