Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is just good 'ol mac and cheese- rich, creamy and satisfying. Any cheese you like can be put in there, and any shaped noodle will work (though I think elbows, penne and rotini work best). Whole milk makes a richer mac and cheese, but didn't miss it here (and dh only will drink whole milk!). This will serve 8 adults a main course, more if there are kids or as a side.
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Boil macaroni about 8 minutes, until al dente and drain well.
- meanwhile, melt butter and whisk in flour until smooth.
- add milk slowly, whisking and bring to a boil until thick (about 2-3 mins)
- stir in spices.
- remove from heat and add cheeses until smooth.
- stir in macaroni.
- serve as is or pour into a large casserole dish or 13x9 pyrex and sprinkle with bread crumbs and/or parmesan and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.