This is from Heinz, I like the flavor that the ketchup, mustard, etc add. I like to back it with cheese on top, although it's not in the original recipe. Great for leftovers or to freeze.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme and rosemary
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup Heinz ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup heinz tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons each heinz worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (such as peas and carrots)
- 3 cups cooked warm, mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2⁄3 cup warm milk
- Heat oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and half of the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Crumble meat into pan and cook until brown all over. Sprinkle with flour. Stir in ketchup, tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in mixed vegetables. Transfer to a 9-in (23-cm) baking dish.
- Whip the potatoes with the warm milk, remaining salt and pepper, butter and garlic until very fluffy. Spread potatoes evenly over meat mixture. Bake for 35 minutes or until potatoes are golden. I prefer to add cheese to the top before baking.
My dad requested some comfort food, and this came out how we were hoping. I made a few substitutions: V8 as opposed to tomato juice, rice flour as opposed to all-purpose, and yellow mustard as opposed to dijon. Also, I left the skin on my mashed potatoes, and I thought that gave it good texture. Next time, I'll cut back on the dried herbs as I felt those were a little overwhelming. Thank you for posting.
Great recipe! We've had a few cold days this summer and this dish was just perfect! I did make one small change and used V8 juice in place of tomato juice. True comfort food! I will be making this again... Made for Summer Comfort Cafe
Loved this recipe. Great flavor! Very easy but good. Loved the combination of the mash potatoes/garlic/and ground beef mixture.