Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Several generations of cooks have been using this delicious, classic recipe for their family gatherings, pot lucks, church suppers or just family meals. It is a true "comfort food". Cook time does not include cooking the chicken or rice first.
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 3 cups soft fine breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice or 1 1⁄2 cups white rice
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red bell peppers or 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, well beaten
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients, except for Creamy Mushroom Sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Spoon into a buttered 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cut into squares to serve.
- Creamy Mushroom Sauce: In sauce pan, combine soup, milk and sour cream.
- Heat through until hot, but do not boil.
- Spoon over chicken squares.