Recipe by NoSpringChicken
Several generations of cooks have been using this delicious, classic recipe for their family gatherings, pot lucks, church suppers or just family meals. It is a true "comfort food". Cook time does not include cooking the chicken or rice first.
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 3 cups soft fine breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice or 1 1⁄2 cups white rice
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red bell peppers or 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, well beaten
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients, except for Creamy Mushroom Sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Spoon into a buttered 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cut into squares to serve.
- Creamy Mushroom Sauce: In sauce pan, combine soup, milk and sour cream.
- Heat through until hot, but do not boil.
- Spoon over chicken squares.