Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Whatever Oktoberfest revelers end up eating, they usually wash it down with lots of German beer. Sauerbraten, or sour roast, takes at least two days to marinate in vinegar and spices. Serve with spaetzle dumplings, made from scratch, or hot German potato salad.
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 1⁄2 lbs top round roast
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canned beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup gingersnap crumbs
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cool. Place beef in a bowl slightly larger than beef. Pour marinade over. Cover and chill for at least 2 days (up to 4 days is better), turning beef twice daily.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove beef from marinade and place in roasting pan; reserve marinade. Roast beef until tender, about 2 hours. Transfer beef to carving board; cool. Pour any accumulated juices from roasting pan into marinade. Strain marinade (do not clean roasting pan.).
- Mix 1/4 cup oil and flour in heavy large skillet. Stir over medium heat until dark brown, about 10 minutes. Gradually mix in 2 cups of marinade (discard any remaining marinade) and beef broth. Boil until thick, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Mix in brown sugar and cookie crumbs. Pour into roasting pan and place over medium heat. Bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice beef and arrange in large baking dish. Pour sauce over meat. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake beef until heated through, about 15 minutes.
I wanted to try something different with a roast and thought what could be better than a "classic'. My whole family was skeptical of what the meat would taste like after several days in the marinade but we all enjoyed it! The sauce was really what made it great. I wasn't sure if I was to bake the roast covered or uncovered - covered it and I marinated the roast for the four days. thanks for sharing this recipe.