1/3 Photos of Classic Sandwich Bread
2 hrs 35 mins
Southern Polar Bear's Note:
For sandwiches, toast, and French toast, you just can’t beat a classic American sandwich loaf, with its creamy-white interior, golden crust, and soft, easily sliceable texture. I found this recipe on kingarthurflour.com. It is a wonderfully easy recipe to make with terrific results!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir till the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl.
- 3You may need up to 2/3 cup of hot water to make a soft, smooth dough.
- 4Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, oil your hands, and knead it for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it begins to become smooth and supple. (You may also knead this dough in an electric mixer or food processor, or in a bread machine set to the dough or manual cycle).
- 5Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise till puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 60 minutes, depending on the warmth of your kitchen.
- 7Don't punch down the dough. Transfer it to a lightly oiled work surface, and gently shape it into an 8-inch log.
- 8Place the log in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan, cover the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise for about 60 minutes, until it’s domed about 1 inch above the edge of the pan.
- 9A finger pressed into the dough should leave a mark that rebounds slowly.
- 11Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for about 35 minutes, until it’s light golden brown.
- 12Test it for doneness by removing it from the pan and thumping it on the bottom (it should sound hollow), or by measuring its interior temperature with an instant-read thermometer (it should register 190°F at the center of the loaf).
- 13Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a wire rack before slicing.
- 14Store the bread in a plastic bag at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Sandwich Bread
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.4
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 34.8 mg
- Sodium 848.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 13.2 g