1/10 Photos of Classic San Francisco Sourdough Bread
12 hrs 30 mins
I have looked hi and low for a recipe like this. I am so happy to have found it. Perfect slathered in butter or as a sandwich (grilled is great)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, combine the water, sourdough starter and 4 cups of flour.
- 2Mix well and cover with plastic wrap in a warm place 8-12 hours (I do it over night).
- 3The next day stir in the salt and sugar and add flour 1/2 to 1 cup at a time to make a very stiff dough .
- 4Knead till smooth.
- 5Cover and let rise 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- 6Punch down and divide in half.
- 7Knead till smooth and form into rounds. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover lightly and let rise till double and puffy (1 to 1-2 hrs).
- 8While this is rising mix the 1/2 cup water and 1/2 tsp cornstarch in a small bowl and microwave till boiling, remove from heat and let cool.
- 9Heat oven to 400°F.
- 10Carefully place a small pan of hot water on the bottom rack of the oven.
- 11Cut two slashes across each other on top of each loaf.
- 12Bake for 10 minutes.
- 13Pull out the rack and baste each loaf well with the cornstarch mixture.
- 14Close the oven and allow to bake another 20-25 minutes. Loaves should be a light golden color and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- 15You are suppose to allow this to cool for 2 hrs to develop the sourdough flavor fully -- we wait maybe 30-45 minutes!
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic San Francisco Sourdough Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1383.7
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2341.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 290.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 38.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: