Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
I make sure I always make a large batch and freeze so that I always have some on hand. Absolutely delicious, simple, and classic. Goes great with grilled cheese sandwiches with pesto and tomato.
- 3 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half (or smaller, if using large tomatoes)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped sweet onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 ounces canned plum tomatoes, with their juice
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss together tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- In a stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Blend with a stick blender. Taste for seasonings. Serve hot or cold.