Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
In ‘Williams-Sonoma: Essentials of Roasting’
- 1 (4 1/2-5 lb) whole chickens
- extra virgin olive oil, for coating
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 4 -5 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 4 large fresh thyme sprigs
- If the giblets and neck are in the chicken cavity, remove them and discard.
- Remove and discard any pockets of fat from the cavity.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Brush or rub the chicken all over with olive oil, and season inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Place the onion, parsley, and thyme in the cavity.
- Tuck the wing tips under the back.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Oil a v-shaped roasting rack and place it in a roasting pan just large enough to hold the chicken.
- Place the chicken on the rack and allow it to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Position an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 500 degrees.
- Roast the chicken until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh away from the bone registers 170-175 degrees, 50-60 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Slip the handle of a wooden spoon or a pair of tongs in the chicken cavity and carefully tip the bird, draining the liquid from the cavity into the pan.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter or carving board, remove the string and tent with foil.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Discard contents of the cavity, then carve the chicken and serve.