Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A great family dinner
Make and share this Classic Roast Chicken and Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (5 lb) roasting chickens
- 1⁄2 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Remove giblets and neck, if present, from chicken. Rinse chicken inside and out; pat dry.
- Place onion and garlic in chicken cavity. Squeeze juice from lemon and set aside; add lemon skin to cavity.
- Tuck wings under back of chicken; tie legs together with kitchen string. Brush all over with oil; sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Place, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, in oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Baste chicken with pan juices. Roast, basting occasionally, for about 1 1/2 hours longer or until juices run clear when thigh is pierced and meat thermometer inserted in thigh registers 185°F (85°C). Transfer chicken to platter and tent with foil; let stand 10 minutes before carving.
- Skim fat from juices in pan. Sprinkle flour over juices; cook over medium-high heat, whisking, for 1 minute. Drizzle in chicken stock and 2 tablespoons (25 mL) reserved lemon juice; cook, whisking, for about 3 minutes or until thickened. Pour into warmed gravy boat.
- Cut string holding legs together; discard onion, lemon and garlic. Using poultry or kitchen shears, cut chicken into 2 breast and 2 leg portions. Cut each breast in half diagonally. Cut through each leg at joint to separate into drumsticks and thigh. Serve with gravy.
Wonderful!!! I loved the lemon and thyme addition to the chicken and gravy. Thanks so much.