Recipe by evelyn/athens
A Canadian Living recipe, tested until perfect.
Top Review by Chef Emstar
My boyfriend loved this! I brined the chicken first so it came out extra moist. I found that at 325 degrees it took over 2hrs to cook my 5 lb. chicken. I think that next time i'll cook it at 350. The flavor was exactly what you think of when you want roast chicken.
- 1 (5 lb) chicken
- 1⁄2 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rubbed dried sage or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried savory (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove giblets and neck, if present, from chicken; rinse chicken inside and out; pat dry with paper towels.
- Place onion and garlic in cavity; squeeze juice from lemon and set aside; add lemon to cavity.
- Tie legs together with kitchen string; tuck wings under back; brush all over with oil; sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper; place, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan; roast, uncovered; in 325F (160C) oven for 1 ½ hours.
- Roast, basting occasionally with pan juices, until juices run clear when thigh is pierced and meat thermometer inserted in thigh registers 185F (85C), about 1 ½ hours; transfer chicken to platter and tent with foil; let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- Skim fat from pan juices; sprinkle flour over juices; cook over medium-high heat, whisking, for 1 minute; gradually pour in chicken stock and reserved lemon juice, whisking until smooth and thickened, about 3 minutes; pour into warmed gravy boat.
- Cut string holding legs together; discard onion, lemon and garlic; using kitchen scissors, cut chicken into 2 breast and 2 leg portions; cut each breast in half diagonally; cut through each leg at joint to separate into drumsticks and thighs; serve with gravy.