2 hrs 10 mins
This recipe comes from a set of recipe cards I purchased several years ago ---- Healthy Meals in Minutes. This is a simple, hard-to-beat way to roast chicken. The results are great everytime.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (I usually sub oregano or basil as a personal preference)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (I use 1 tsp. minced garlic from the jar)
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled (optional)
- 1 roasting chicken, between 4 and 5 pounds
- 1 lemon, halved (optional)
- salt and pepper
- chicken broth
- 1Preheat oven to 325.
- 2In a small bowl, combine oil, herbs and minced garlic. Mix well.
- 3Rinse chicken inside and out, removing bagged innards if present, and pat dry with paper towels.
- 4Gently loosen skin covering breast (usually can be done with your fingers) and rub some of the herb mixture underneath skin (using your fingers works best).
- 5Rub remaining herb mixture over skin.
- 6Place garlic cloves and lemon in cavity (I usually skip this part, but it does add to the flavor).
- 7Tuck wings under and, using kitchen twine, tie legs together.
- 8Sprinkle salt and pepper generously over chicken.
- 9Place chicken on roasting rack in a roasting pan (I've also used a 13 x 9 pan).
- 10Roast for one hour. Remove from oven and tilt chicken to release juices from cavity into pan.
- 11Baste with juices and return to oven. I usually supplement juices with chicken broth in order to have enough basting liquid.
- 12Roast until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees, usually another hour or so. I usually test the breast as well to make sure it doesn't overcook past 170 degrees.
- 13While chicken is roasting, baste every 15 minutes. Add more chicken broth if necessary.
- 14Place chicken on a serving platter and let stand for 15 minutes. Carve and serve.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.7
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 35.6 mg
- Sodium 33.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 8.4 g