- 1 stalk celery
- 3 1⁄2 lbs roasting chickens
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened, divided
- 1 onion, quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Slice celery. Sprinkle inside cavity of chicken with thyme and salt; add 1 tsp butter, sliced celery and onion. Rub outside chicken with remaining butter.
- Tuck wing tips under back of chicken. Place chicken breast side down on rack in roasting pan.
- Add enough water to cover bottom of pan. Roast for ten minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 degrees. Roast for 20 minutes longer.
- Turn chicken breast-side up. Roast until chicken is browned, about 30 minutes longer.