1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Alan in SW Florida's Note:
With endless variations on ratatouille in cookbooks, this one is adapted from Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb eggplant
- 1/2 lb zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 6 -7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 lb yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large firm ripe tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- 1Peel the eggplant, cut off the stem and cut lengthwise into 3"x1"x3/8" slices. Trim off zucchini ends. Cut into slices about the same size as the eggplant. Place vegetable slices in a large non-aluminum bowl (glass or plastic are fine). Toss with 1 teaspoon salt; let stand 30 minutes. Drain and pat slices dry on paper towels.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook eggplant and zucchini slices in batches until lightly browned, about 1 minute per side, adding more olive oil as needed. Set vegetables aside.
- 3Cook onions and bell peppers in the same skillet in 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until tender but not browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Peel tomatoes while onions and pepper cook by dipping in boiling water, then ice water to loosen the skins. (Or use a serrated-edge peeler.) Cut out tomato stems, cut tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds and excess juice. Slice tomato pulp into 3/8-inch strips. Lay tomato strips over the onion and peppers in the skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Cover skillet; cook over medium-low heat until tomatoes begin to render juice, about 5 minutes. Place 1/3 of the tomato/onion mixture in a Dutch oven or heavy casserole. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon parsley. Arrange half of the eggplant and zucchini on top. Top with half of the remaining tomato mixture and parsley. Top with the remaining eggplant and zucchini slices. Finish with the remaining tomato mixture and parsley.
- 6Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Uncover, tip casserole and baste with rendered juices. Adjust seasonings, if necessary. Raise heat slightly. Cook, uncovered, until juices have evaporated, about 15 minutes. Stir often to keep vegetables from scorching on the bottom.
- 7Serve hot, at room temperature, or cold.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Ratatouille
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.5
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 298.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 1.5 g