Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Originally made with just bacon. Now, it usually contains onions and Gruyere cheese. A small wedge with a simple fruit salad and/or green salad makes a lovely lunch or light dinner.
Top Review by moosehead
Really good. I put the bacon/onion on top of the cheese, then added the cream/egg mixture. Used 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Dusted top with paprika. Took 45 minutes cooking time. Tasty treat! Good for leftovers, too.
- 4 -6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells, partially baked
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp; transfer bacon to a paper-towel lined plate using a slotted spoon; let bacon drain.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings from pan.
- Add in onion and shallot; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until tender; stir in parsley.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, mustard, nutmeg, salt, and pepper; add in onion mixture and bacon; stir to combine.
- Sprinkle cheese over the bottom of the pie shell.
- Pour egg mixture over all.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean (cover pie crust edges as appropriate if become too brown).
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.