1/3 Photos of Classic Pound Cake
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
A very tender, simple version of this old classic. Serve it plain, with a dusting of powdered sugar, berries and icecream. Just about anything goes! Once you get the hang of it double this recipe and bake it in a bundt pan. (same cooking temp/time)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 2/3 cups cake flour, can use all purpose,but it's not as good
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to 65 degrees f,about 2 hours
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, superfine preferred but not necessary
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of (OPTIONAL)
- 1Set oven rack to center position and preheat to 325 degrees f.
- 2Grease a standard 9x5x3 metal loaf pan with crisco or softened butter-- dust with flour.
- 3Sift flour and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- 4Place butter in your mixing bowl and beat until smooth, creamy and light colored-- 30 seconds on a stand mixer, 60 seconds by hand.
- 5Gradually add sugar and beat until butter is very white and fluffy.
- 6About 3 minutes on your stand mixer, 5 mins by hand.
- 7It's critical that everything is at room temperature at this point, feel the outside of the mixing bowl-- if it's too cool then allow it to sit until it reaches room temperature.
- 8Add the whole eggs, one at a time and beat for 20 seconds after each addition.
- 9The mixture should be dull and smooth at this point.
- 10If it appears grainy and/or curdled then the temperature is probably too cold for the eggs to combine properly with the butter.
- 11Allow it to warm then rebeat for a few seconds.
- 12This is critical for this cake as there is no chemical levener and having the eggs and butter properly mixed is the only thing that will give this cake structure and allow it to rise.
- 13DO NOT OVERBEAT, It will make the cake tough.
- 14Add vanilla extract and beat for a few more seconds.
- 15Sift the flour in three equal parts into the butter/sugar/egg mixture, folding gently into the after each addition until all the flour has been incorporated and the batter is well mixed.
- 16Be sure to scrape up from the bottom of the bowl frequently.
- 17Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 70 minutes, rotating 180 degrees halfway thru the baking process.
- 18In 70 minutes test the cake with a wooden toothpick.
- 19If it's not done continue to bake and check every 5 minutes.
- 20Cool on rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.4
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 193.1 mg
- Sodium 192.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 37.9 g
- Protein 6.5 g