Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted after measuring
- Position oven rack in the middle of the oven; preheat to 325°.
- Add butter and sugar to a bowl of a stand mixer; beat on medium speed with the paddle attachment until very light, about 5 minutes.
- One at a time, beat in 3 of the eggs, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Decrease mixer speed to LOW and beat in 1/3 of the flour, then another egg, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Stop mixer occasionally and scrape the bottom and sides of bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Beat in another third of the flour, then after the flour has been absorbed, beat in final egg.
- Scrape again and beat in the last of the flour.
- Use the rubber spatula to give a final mix to the batter, then scrape it into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours, or until the cake is well risen, cracked on top, and well-colored and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for a few minutes, then unmold it onto a rack and turn right side up to finish cooling.